Sunday, December 4, 2016

Week 5, Witches


Remy Tost, September 19




Witches, like all well-known creepies, have had their evolutions many, many years. Some of the oldest ones that dwell in German Folk tales are nasty, horrible, and revengeful. As times have changed witches have had the opportunity to be good, decent, and wise.  I really thought about these two “types” of witches as I re-read one of my all time favorite books from middle school: “Howl’s Moving Castle” by Diana Wynne Jones (one of my favorite authors) and re-watched Practical Magic, directed by Griffin Dune. Because as I emerged myself in these two some-what campy witch stories of adventure and the magic of sisterhood, I realized it’s not always the witch-way to be the “good type”.

I remember watching the Crucible’s movie adaptation with my brother when I was little and I gotta tell you that movie freaked me the hell out. I couldn’t believe those young girls could stir so much shit and cause so much pain and misery to innocent people just to save their necks, or worse; fulfill their own dark fantasies. Sure in Practical Magic Sally and Gillian put themselves over their Aunts (and Sally’s children) and used dark magic to bring Jimmy back from the dead. But it was done to help Gillian and in the end everyone helped get rid of Jimmy’s evil spirit.

I think what really through me off was that in the Crucible the bad guys won; in this case the witches. Being so used to seeing a good, campy ending in the past, this one took me by complete shock. I also remember watching a bit of Haxan because it was on cable and my dad watches weird movies when it’s late sometimes. And what I saw again freaked me out. It was weird, creepy, and grotesque and portrayed witches in the most satanic fashion.

And coming from someone who grew up with fun happy magical movies involving witches and books; this version of witches made me remember where they come from; where the deep roots of witch history started.

After I had watched The Crucible and Haxan and more movies that involved unhappy, creepy endings I now can say I’ve grown not numb to them but it definitely doesn’t affect me as much. I can also appreciate the other elements involved in these kinds of films; Suspiria being one of them (Sure, the mean the protagonist does not die; Suzy lives. But it was still a creepy ending.). I mean the movie is basically a beautiful gothic rainbow in terms of visuals and the music was different and bewitchingly haunting, even weird, a work of art.

Like Vampires from last week, Witches have been portrayed in all forms such as the classic evil and ugly to the campy and funny. It’s funny though how I myself almost forgot about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment