Sunday, December 4, 2016

Week 11, Cyber and Stempunk


Remy Tost, October 31

Ok so steampunk was my THING when I was a junior and senior in high school.  I was the tool who went to the small anime convention in my hometown and got that hair clip that had plastic gears and feathers hot glued on it (and it wasn’t subtle) because I desperately wanted to be apart of that Victorian steam world, man. And it’s not like I don’t appreciate steampunk anymore, because I still do! I’m just picky about it. No glued down gears on top hats. Or dumb plots.

Speaking of good plots; Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott was such an iconic movie at the time. God when I saw this for this week’s movie of the week I was amazed by how well the pulled off all those special effects when they had to paint this dark futuristic city. And it looked like it was done effortlessly. I mean, those projections on those buildings looked like they were done yesterday.  The plot was different and told a very honest story about of humanity and the struggles of feeling and being alive.  And the villain, Roy Batty was nothing like a villain until the fight scene and when he killed Dr. Eldon Tyrell. Also kick ass soundtrack, but I’m not surprised since Vangelis did it. 

Also while we’re on the subject of good plot movies; Steamboy directed by Katsuhiro Otomo in 2004 was an amazing steampunk animated film I saw a while back with my parents. This is a great adventure movie starring a young boy, Ray Steam, with a mission to prevent a ball of energy from unleashing its destructive power.
to his town in England in an alternate 19th century. Wonderful visuals and characters, highly recommend. Also deals with relationships and humanity. Not as intensely as Blade Runner but it’s still there. Which I always find interesting when it comes to cyber and steampunk plots. Most stories in these genres constantly question and prod at the idea of humanity, feelings, emotions, and relationships, which are funny since these stories consist of robotic life and machines.

So when I looked at the reading list and saw “Infernal Devices” (1987) by K.W. Jeter I was instantly reminded of Cassandra Clare’s The Infernal Devices Series (2010-2013). I read the first two books of Clare’s series so I of course wanted to see what Jeter’s book was about and if they had any similarities to each other.
So after reading Infernal Devices (1987) I gotta say it was not what I expected. But I think that’s because Clare’s take is serious, sometimes violent and leans towards the older teen genre (so some sexy moments, teen angst and love triangles, basically). But Jeter’s was funny as well as dark. And sure there where some sexy moments with George’s automaton double, but not in the same way as Clare’s is. But both stories do have automatons, and the setting is around the same time period, victorian naturally. But that’s really it in terms of what they have in common. I enjoyed Jeter’s writing, it was dark one page kinda campy the next and some of the creatures and characters where more than I expected.  Overall glad read and glad it’s not like the series that shares it’s name; not that I don’t like the series but glad all the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment