Sunday, December 4, 2016

Week 1, The Gothic


Remy Tost, August 15th



When I first got the email from Professor Steiling that we had to read Frankenstein before the first class, I had mixed feelings. The good ones being excited because my mother always told me how good it was but never explained why and I was curious; especially since my knowledge of Frankenstein relied on the old black and white film, the parody movie by Mel Brooks, and Frankenstein’s role in the Van Hellsing movie. So many movie connections but no book connections…which brings up my negative feelings about this book. It all seemed very straightforward to me: the plot of Frankenstein. A crazy scientist has the urge and need to bring life to a dead being. And then others in the town know about it. Thus the scientist and his creation are destroyed? I guess?

From what my mom said vs. my expectations it all made me feel weird and slightly lost as I began reading. That’s kind of a lie actually.  I didn’t read per say; I listened to the audiobook on YouTube by read by Cori Samuels. According to the YouTube comments she, “adapted the story the best”. Then I heard the story. And not gonna lie, the beginning had me because it was NOTHING like I had expected. A polar wasteland instead of a castle? Who’s this Captain Walton guy? Why is he important?

And I could go on and on, asking questions but I’ll get to my opinion of the book. First off, I loved it. It took me by shock because it had so much feeling from all the characters, and there were many. But particularly the Monster and Frankenstein. The Monster seemed so pure and Frankenstein was so young when he created him. And he didn’t seem as crazy as I had expected him to be. But the themes brought up such as family, like when Frankenstein’s family lost their son because of the monster or when the Monster watches the De Lancy family, longing to be apart of them. It makes you remember how much a good childhood and up bring is: that it’s so crucial to “teach your children well” (CSN band reference) with morals and wisdom. But because the Monster was not taught by his “family”, (Frankenstein) he caused death and pain.

I’m aware that there are so many themes and lessons to learn from Mar Shelley’s Frankenstein, but this was the one that stood out to me.

Going back to my expectations; about 6 or 7 years ago I watched a black and white film called “The Haunting” (1963), directed by Robert Wise with my dad who highly recommended it. And being used to most horror films having gore and blood to bring fear to their audience. So again it was my dad said vs. my expectations. And again I have to say I loved the movie. There was no violence (accept for the car crash at the end). But combining the powerful acting and the practical effects it really scared me.

Glad I read Frankenstein and got the opportunity to re-watch The Haunting . Also glad I have great parents with great taste in books and movies.



No comments:

Post a Comment