Sunday, December 4, 2016

Week 4, Weird Horror


Remy Tost, September 12


Zombies have never been a favorite creepy monster of mine to be honest. Much preferred witches, wizards, and vampires, even ghosts. I think they’re grotesque look always turned me off. It’s funny though, if there’s anyone I know who has a big issue with them its my dad. He has a tomahawk under his bead and lots of canned food in the pantry in case the zombie apocalypse becomes a reality.

I read a good chunk of David Wellington’s Monster Island and instantly thought about the survival game “The Last of Us” and the movie “Warm Bodies” directed by Jonathan Levine. In case you aren’t aware of the game, “The Last if Us” about Joel, who lives in a similar world like Monster Island where the world is full of human creatures (in this case they are humans with a virus caused by a mutated strain of the Cordyceps fungus). And instead of zombies they are called clickers). He finds this girl who although got bitten by one survived and potentially has the cure to the virus. But unlike Joel, Dekalb who is trying to find the cure for AIDS to save her daughter who is taken hostage. Both stories however share a lot of similar themes: survival, sanity, trust, and the apocalypse as we know it.

Gary reminded me a lot of R in how they both were the “sane zombies” and didn’t really eat humans (or as Gary calls it “homo-mortis”). And Dekalb reminded me so much of Joel and his role to save his important girl who in the game gets attached to like a dad and his daughter. This book was intense and had some shocking moments, and I hope over winter break I’ll the time to finish. I was I’ll admit a bit wary of the constant change from 3rd person to first person (Dekalb) but after a while I saw the importance in taking us to see the world more clearly so we understand what Dekalb goes through in finding the cure. Also the kick ass girl squad was a fun twist. Almost reminds me of girl squad in “Sucker Punch” but younger.

Shaun of the Dead from 2004 was a great movie to watch even though I never watched “Dawn of the Dead” so I didn’t pick up on the references to the original. The zombie violence parts freaked me out (that grotesque zombie angle I mentioned earlier).  The plot was no shock but the ending made me happy. Not like “Oh boy! They all survived! Hurrah!” More like, “Well shit, some died along the way which sucks, and Shaun’s friend Ed turns into a zombie but hey, they make it work. No worries…”

Also, want to watch Blood Tea and Red String so bad. Found it on YouTube and will check it out soon! The visuals I got of this when I went to Google Images reminded me vaguely of the singer and artist Emilie Autumn due the rats and violence. I recommend her music if you’re into that gothic Victorian asylum girl angle.





No comments:

Post a Comment